1st June, 2017
After spending three tranquil days in Knysna we headed to Sabi Sands Game Reserve (Kruger), but before that we would like to share a few recommendations, reviews and suggestions to make your KNYSNA trip memorable as well !
Here are a few suggestions by MIRINDA to make your Knysna experience totally WORTH IT!
HOTELS & ACCOMMODATION
After a lot of research on where to stay, we came up with this list. Hope this helps!
- Romantic & Luxurious Holiday– If you are planning for a romantic (honeymoony!) or a luxurious kind of a holiday, we would strongly suggest staying at the Knysna Heads.It is super quiet and super safe with a lot of Luxury Boutique Hotels and guest houses.
- Holiday with Friends (get the party mode on!) – This being more of a fun kind of holiday, we suggest you stay close to all the actions. Lagoon area / Waterfront area are the perfect options for a nice chilled holiday with friends as all the restaurants are very close by.
General Points before booking the Guest House / Hotel:
- Being a tourist we will not suggest staying in any other place apart from the three mentioned above as there are a lot of tourist safety issues in Knysna and we are sure you would not want to take that risk
- One thing we noticed here is that most of the guest houses here have a facility of only B&B. Thus we suggest you stay at a place where there are some nice restaurants close by as walking at night in Knysna is not recommended.
- Please check the credibility of the hotel on Trip advisor / Lonely planet before booking it.
- We would recommend staying in Guest Houses rather than hotels in Knysna as you would get a much personalized touch to your stay.
FOOD & DRINKS
Food & Drinks is the most important element of your trip. Our recommendations for some mouth-watering food along with amazing drinks are as follows!
- Knysna Heads
- East Head Cafe – Burgers and milkshakes
- Ice Palazzo – Home made gelato
- Thai Cuisine
- Royal Siam Thai Restaurant – dimsums and thai curry
- Mexican Cuisine
- La Paz – please please don’t miss the Margaritas there…
- Italian Cuisine
- Cafe Mario’s – at the waterfront
- Seafood and Desserts
- JJ’s restaurant – at the waterfront – please dont miss the Home-made cheesecake there
General Points and suggestions (Food & Drinks):
- We strongly recommend against drinking and driving. Instead opt for a taxi service which offers extremely safe and cheap rides, cash payment options and advantages such as no hassle of finding parking spots.
- We were pleasantly surprised at the cost of meals throughout our trips. A full lunch/dinner with a few drinks and dessert would cost somewhere around 300-500 ZAR per couple (even at the best of restaurants) – and that is quite cheap if you compare it to any decent lunch outing in Mumbai. Especially the alcoholic drinks throughout the trip – we found them to be very cheap (a pint of beer would be somewhere 20-40 ZAR) and at some places they were even cheaper than a bottle of water.
- Throughout South Africa, when we ordered meat, we had to specifically instruct the restaurants to cook through the meat – as it is a general norm in South Africa to cook the meat medium rare.
- Most of the restaurants here have vegetarian options, so food in particular wont be a big problem here.
- PLEASE TRY ALL THE LOCAL BEERS OF SOUTH AFRICA (my personal favourite was the Peroni & Hansa)
- The road trip to Knsyna is almost a 5 hour drive, we recommend you carry a lot of food, cold fluids, sunscreen lotions, hats and sunglasses. Please don’t forget to carry your SLR camera, keep it handy as the drive is super scenic and you would want to keep clicking photographs every other moment.
- Load your phone with some good music to enjoy along the long beautiful drive. Don’t forget to get an Aux cable/portable speakers as all cars may not be Bluetooth compatible.
- Knsyna has 2 areas famous amongst tourist : 1. Knysna Heads and 2. Knysna Quays. We strongly recommend staying at Knsyna Heads, located on the top most location of Knysna, you will get an overall view of the city on one end along with the unobstructed view of the Indian Ocean on the other.
- You must try riding the Ostrich at Oudtshoorn. It’s a rare opportunity. Additionally, it’s an amusing experience which will make you laugh every time you see the video.
- We recommend you check the location of your selected Ostrich farm i.e. with reference to the positioning from Knysna and Cango Caves. This will help you in deciding the order of visit between the Ostrich Farm and the Cango Caves and in-turn save a considerable time of your journey back home.
- Bloukrans Bungee is a very popular bungee spot known across the world for being the highest bungee point. Lots of tourist visit it round the year. We suggest you visit it during the morning slots as it less crowded at that time and also the weather will be nicer as compared to the hot afternoons. You can book a slot via telephone but you need to be there half an hour before your scheduled jump.
- Insist to the volunteers to make you do the bungee jump in between the batch when there are people around to cheer. Being the last one is more scary and intimidating.
OUR KNYSNA ITINERARY
For all you friends out there, if you want to experience the best of Knysna in three nights, please go through our itinerary – We assure you will not regret it!
February 24th, 2017
8:00 a.m Self Drive from Cape Town to Knysna via the Garden Route
2:00 p.m. Arrival at Knysna- Check in at Alexander Guest House
2:30 p.m. Lunch at East Head Cafe at Knysna Heads
4:00 p.m. Back to the Guest House
8:00 p.m. Dinner at the Royal Siam – Thai Cuisine
February 25th, 2017
7:30 a.m. Breakfast at our hotel (Home made muesli was to die for)
9:00 a.m. Started our day trip to Cango Caves & Oudtshroon
10:30 a.m. Reached the Cango Caves (took the 1 hour heritage tour of the caves)
2:00 p.m. The Highgate Ostrich Show farm, Oudtshoorn
5:30 p.m. Back to our Guest House
8:00 p.m. Dinner at La Paz ( Please do not miss the margeritas here)
February 26th, 2017
7:30 a.m. Breakfast at our hotel
9:00 a.m. Started our day trip to Plettensberg Bay for Bungee Jump !!
10:30 a.m. Reached the Face Adrenalin bridge base
11:00 a.m. Bungee Jump at Bloukrans Bridge
2:00 p.m. Lunch at Bousan’s Pub & Grill, Knysna
4:00 p.m. Back to our Guest House
7:30 p.m Knysna Waterfront – Time for Shopping!
9:00 p.m. Dinner at Cafe Mario’s
10:30 p.m. Dessert at JJ’s restaurant
11:300 p.m. Back to our Guest House
February 27th 2017
7:30 a.m. Left from Knysna to George Airport
11:00 a.m Flight from George to Skukuza via Johannesburg
Coming up next…. MIRINDA fun facts…All you need to know about Knysna!
Keep following www.mirindatravels.com to know all about it !!